I was in Starbucks the other day getting my chai tea with coconut milk, no water, no foam, and a little extra hot when I see a friend of mine walk in.
When I ask, how are you doing, her response is “great, just busy!” I hear this a lot. Sometimes the words come out of my own mouth.
We seem to enjoy being busy and overwhelmed. We wear it like a badge of honor.
Can you imagine someone saying, “I am on top of everything and have extra time on my hands.”
How would you react to that? Honestly, I might think they didn’t have enough to do. After all, EVERYONE is busy!
This makes me wonder how many of us are addicted to being busy. For me, having a lot on my to-do list makes me feel important. Some of us have a hard time saying no so we just take on more and more.
What is the REAL reason you are so busy? (Hint: It’s not about time management)
Try these on and see which ones fit you:
1. Busy is Easier – to avoid conflict, some of us just say yes because it’s easier. It takes courage to do less.
2. Busy is Avoidance – this is when you fill up your time doing easy stuff so you get the adrenaline rush of checking things off your list. The problem is the important stuff is being avoided and not getting done.
3. Busy is a Badge of Honor – by saying we are busy and filling our calendars, we are proving to ourselves and others that we are important and worthy.
4. Busy is an Addiction – some of us get “high” off email, texting, or social media. We feel like we have to have it.
5. Busy is Popular – everyone else says they are busy so if you’re not, you feel like you don’t fit in. You want to be part of the tribe so you beat the same drum.
So how many of these resonate with you? Now be honest. It’s okay if it’s all of them. The key is to make a decision TODAY that you will be serious about letting go of overwhelm and being busy.
The big decision I am making today is to publish my blog once per month instead of every week. This is a difficult decision as I love to write about what I’m seeing and experiencing with my clients, in my own life, and through research. However, I am serious about letting go of responsibilities and obligations. So for now, this is my choice.
What are you choosing to do differently? Please share in the comments below. I always love hearing from you!